Skip to content

Mike Fong Declares Victory for Assembly District 49 Race

Mike Fong

After months of campaigning, Mike Fong has officially declared victory in a special election to represent Assembly District 49, which represents much of the San Gabriel Valley.

Assembly District 49 encompasses all or part of ten cities, including Alhambra, Arcadia, El Monte, Montebello, Monterey Park, Rosemead, San Gabriel, San Marino, South El Monte, and Temple City.

On Thursday, the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder's Office released the final tally of votes, confirming a landslide election in favor of Mike Fong. He holds 66.95% of the vote with 27,763 votes. His opponent, Burton Brink, collected the remaining 33.05% of the votes, or 13,703 votes.

The Board of Supervisors has officially certified these votes on their March 1st meeting.

In the California Assembly, Mike Fong hopes to pursue the following policy issues:

  • Increase student access to higher education
  • Expand workforce training
  • Improve the quality of educational opportunities available at nine Community Colleges across Los Angeles and surrounding cities.

In communication following his victory, Mike Fong stated the following,

"The San Gabriel Valley is filled with talent, hope, hard work, untapped opportunity, and dreams for the future. I ran for State Assembly because I want to help our communities by solving problems, both big and small.

“From constituents who need help with state services, to challenges like rising homelessness, climate change, and keeping our neighborhoods and communities safe, I promise to work every day to deliver results for the San Gabriel Valley, and to be a relentless advocate for every person who lives here.”

BOMA/GLA and our partners congratulate Assemblymember Fong on his victory and are glad to have supported his candidacy. We look forward to the benefits he will bring to his district.

Mike Fong previously served as the East Area Director for Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa. Mike also serves as a Commissioner for the City of Alhambra Transportation Commission, on the board of Goodwill Southern California, and on the advisory board for LA’s BEST After School Enrichment Program.

His long record of community service also includes having served as chair of the PBS Southern California Asian Pacific Islander Community Council, a member of the White Memorial Medical Center Community Leadership Council, and chair of the California Democratic Party Asian Pacific Islander Caucus, and as president of the Asian Pacific Alumni of UCLA.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter